Monday, August 15, 2011
The real first day of school
Well I thought that getting an assignment on day one was a fluke. I searched all last night-and nothing...not even the usually avoided half day or P.E. postings. Subs set the alarm and run through the regular morning routine every morning-as though we have an assignment-even if we don't. So this morning, still nothing. I made the requisite call to our help desk department. After a wait time of 35 minutes, the friendly operator answered. "No, there were no elementary assignments today-just special ed assistants. Then she rattled off about 20 open positions. "You probably don't want those." Well of course I did! It's work, and pay, and also an opportunity that not many will ever get to experience. I've taken many special ed assignments. I've subbed for the regular teacher and the assistants as well. Some of the aides have told me that some subs will just leave when they get to the school. Some will announce, "I don't do Special Ed." For those subs who turn down these assignments, they're missing out on a rewarding day. These children teach us so much more than we can teach them sometimes. The class today had a grand total of 3 students. And there were 3 adults. They laugh and play and want to learn like any other child in their school. There were also 4 students from a nearby private school there in the classroom. "It's part of our curriculum," they explained to me. So they come over 2 times a week for an hour, to assist in the classroom. They looked so polished in their school uniforms. The boys with the school issued striped ties and the girls with their plaid skirts. And they took their "job" very seriously-giving each student their undivided attention, and they loved it-of course! It's a good day when a student at the end of the day says your name, and feels very proud of himself for that accomplishment.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment